I have a video view embedded in a somewhat complex UI.  As part of the
look, the container of the videoview tends to animate in and out from
the sides (but the video isn't visible during the animation).  To save
some memory when the video container isn't visible, I'm trying to
unref that subtree of the view hierarchy.

Attempt #1:
Unref the entire subtree and inflate later when I need it.
VideoView works fine the first time, but after I unref and re-inflate
it fails to ever call the onPrepare() listener to trigger well timed
playback.

Attempt #2:
Preserve the VideoView between unrefs, manually adding adding it after
each inflate and remove it from its parent before unrefing the subtree
of view surrounding it.
Works the first time, but will only render a black screen after I add
the view back on the second pass.

Suggestions on how to fix either problem, or alternatives?

(Let me preempt comments on using Activities.  The basic Activity
structure didn't fit the design, and I've heard horror stories about
ActivityGroups, so we didn't do that at first.  By and large it what
we have works. Even if ActivityGroups are the right solution, I need a
quicker fix in the short term.)