I think you answered your own question: using ads this way is utterly
> pointless. Most of us make nearly nothing on ads in full-blown, interactive
> apps. You will probably make exactly nothing. I would consider a "donate"
> option in there instead. Or a link to the full version, if you have one.

I concur with that assessment.  The user is more likely to click on an ad
that has been there a while after they have "experienced" the app.  Very
unlikely they will click in 20 seconds.

Also, in regards to using multiple ad networks it is best to use multiple ad
providers and use a moderation service like Mobclix or AdWhirl to maximize
your impressions.  For instance if AdMob is giving very few impressions one
day, these services will rollback to another provider you have specified and
try go get an impression from them, etc.  Great way to maximize impressions,
but also adds some bloat to your application.  Another thing you need to be
aware of is that several of the ad companies require *A LOT* of permissions
that, IMHO, are not needed.  I typically stick with the ad companies that
only require the INTERNET permission.  Users are usually OK with that
permission, it's the others like READ_PHONE_STATE that gets them complaining
quite a lot.

Anyway, there are a lot of ad companies out there.  The best thing to do is
sign up with both AdWhirl and Mobclix (free to sign up, no obligation
required) and take a peek at the ad providers they support.  Pick and choose
from those lists, implement, and watch the pennies roll in!