I'm speaking of something a little cleverer than that.  We're not
talking a crash bug.  The app will run but say with a game at the
second level will have the score wrong or even not play right.  Lots
of software companies have done this in the past.  If you make it
specific enough you know who is using the pirated version if they
contact you.