Along with Koysta's explanation of what I was saying, what if both phones
are connected to internet using .a router, then both can communicate without
using a data plan. I don't know if this is how most people use their phones,
but without a data plan (which seems almost unheard of these days) this is
how I would use a phone.

Note that I *never* mentioned using ad hoc mode, where did you get that?

Otherwise then, yes, but have you tried using Bluetooth for these types of
applications? The instability of it between different types of phones, plus
the requirement that it seems to be only supported well on more recent
phones just seems a bit shady. And I think that having to pair phones seems
like a fairly high barrier to using an app, can you imagine that that would
be at least a little annoying?

Kris