On 12 March 2011 16:57, Kristopher Micinski <krismicin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Note that I *never* mentioned using ad hoc mode, where did you get that?

Read my previous post. There's no much choice if you go for Wifi -
either you use infrastructure mode which require, well, infrastructure
with router available, or you got with ad-hoc mode which, on android,
requires root and modified drivers.

> Otherwise then, yes, but have you tried using Bluetooth for these types of
> applications? The instability of it between different types of phones, plus
> the requirement that it seems to be only supported well on more recent

That's probably true. But we're not talking about implementation
quirks yet - just general approach.

> phones just seems a bit shady. And I think that having to pair phones seems
> like a fairly high barrier to using an app, can you imagine that that would
> be at least a little annoying?

You see a need of entering 4 digits (usually once per pair of devices)
a "high barrier", and at the same time it's no problem that you need
hardware router present? Good luck with your app in the woods :)

--
Regards,
Marcin Orlowski