12.03.2011 18:38, Sheepz пишет:
-- All of this however, is not enough to answer the simple question of
what the resolution should be on those images - can they all be cut
from the same high res image or should they be re-done for each dpi
since the aspect ratio is different?

There are four pre-defined densities which Android uses to choose which image to load. You've already listed them above.

The actual device screen density can be different, but for image loading purposes, it's one of those "quantized" values.

Thus you'll never need an image resource for 167dpi or 235dpi, just 120/160/240/320 (none of those yet).

Authorizing wise - ??? whatever is more convenient for the designer. I usually have one "master" HDPI image and use vector-based graphics as much as possible, then scale down for lower densities.

  Thanks!
P.s. To clarify, I'm talking about images that should take up the
entire screen - images such as backgrounds etc, and not just regular
images

For these, the aspect ratio is probably more important than density, so you can cover the entire screen (or its portion, as needed) and as much as possible, avoid clipping or empty areas on the sides.

You might need to place them into drawable-nodpi, and choose the image to load yourself based on the screen's aspect ratio. There are aspect ratio resource qualifiers (-long / -nolong), but I'm not sure if that's really enough for a background image.

--
Kostya Vasilyev -- http://kmansoft.wordpress.com