Hi-- I am not very experienced with Java, and I am confused about overriding
a method. I am trying to override the OnBufferDraw() method by extending
KeyboardView, like this:

  public class PhoneticKeyboardView extends KeyboardView {

       @Override
       private void onBufferDraw() {
            if (mBuffer == null || mKeyboardChanged) { ...

But when I compile it I get an error:

  cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol  : variable mBuffer
    [javac] location: class
com.tabcomputing.android.zenboard.PhoneticKeyboardView
    [javac]         if (mBuffer == null || mKeyboardChanged) {
    [javac]             ^

Which I don't understand b/c mBuffer is defined in KeyboardView. What am I
doing wrong. Surely I do not have to redefine every class variable of the
superclass?