If you absolutely need to access those fields/methods you CAN use Java
reflection, but it's a very fragile solution in that those fields
could change across Android iterations. Using reflection you can
change the visibility of the private fields/methods and invoke them/
change their values. Here's an example, which also discusses the
dangers:

http://radio.javaranch.com/val/2004/05/18/1084891793000.html

The alternative would be to copy the code from that class and create
your own, making those fields protected or providing methods to mutate
them.

Jonathan