I posted http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=15112 a while
back.  We originally based our app structure on the zxing libraries which I
believe Barcode Scanner is using.  I have it on my to-do list to check that
source and see if it has changed how it deals with the camera in 2.3.3.

It feels like our Nexus One is having hardware issues because the problem is
so bizarre but our users are seeing the same issues.  We are going to
manually update our Nexus S to 2.3.3 and see whether the behavior
is consistent or device specific.