My application consists, for the most part, of an appwidget and a
service.  The service is triggered by an alarm which kicks it to update
the widget's remote views.

I use a singleton class to track the phone's location.  The service
accesses the singleton's instance to get the current location when the
alarm is triggered.  If the widget has been configured to track the
location dynamically, a different alarm on its own interval will trigger
the location instance to be updated with current data.  This way the
service simply has to access the singleton's instance to get the latest
location information.  All this is fine and good and appears to be
working well.

One of my users is claiming that after some period of time using my
widget, the widget no longer knows the location.  The only way this can
happen is my location instance was deleted and recreated.  I'm now
wondering whether the scope of singleton is caught up in lifecycle
issues.

I know, by hard experience and asking alot of questions, that I cannot
assume that the appwidget remains in scope. I also cannot assume that my
service remains in scope.  Both of these components can be killed at
anytime by Android.  I get that.  But does that mean that my singleton
can be taken out of scope as well?

--
Jake Colman -- Android Tinkerer