I have an app that does bulk deletes of contacts (Contact Remover).
Many people seem to find this useful.  Some people get confused about
the Google notification message that says "Too many contacts
deletes" (yes, that's how it's worded), or they just don't see it
because it appears as a status notification.  So I would like to warn
people when to expect this message and how to deal with it.

In order to do this I would like to have some idea of when this
notification will be displayed and when it will not.  It is looking
like deleting around 25-30% of your contacts will trigger this, but
that's from empirical data from a limited number of tests.  Does
anybody know what the actual rule is?

I have tried to find the relevant source but without success.  Any
hints would be appreciated.