On Mar 23, 5:37 am, Mark Murphy <mmur...@commonsware.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 7:53 AM, Kostya Vasilyev <kmans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A device manufacturer can only preinstall Market on their device is it
> > passes Android certification tests.
>
> > So a device without Market, at this point, may have all kinds of
> > incompatible implementation weirdness (and many do - e.g. Android-based book
> > readers). Installing a 3rd party application that assumes certain
> > completeness of the platform to such device may not do any good at all.
>
> Correct. One only hopes that if Amazon cooks up an Android-based
> Kindle that they voluntarily adhere to the CDD and pass the CTS... and
> ideally tell us that they have.

Yes, this is the big question for me in Amazon. I went through the
process of submitting an app without knowing what their device will
be. They won't say.

If their device doesn't have a GPS, I wasted my time.
If their device is the xoom form factor or bigger, I wasted my time.
If their device is 7" or lower, it might be worthwhile.

Of course, there is always the chance that someone will buy my app
from their store with a device that already has Market on it, that
wouldn't have bought it in Android Market.
There is always the chance that there will be branding value for being
in the Amazon store.

Both of these are noise compared to getting sales on Amazon on the new
Kindle.

Nathan