Nick,

Thank you for your thoughts. I hoped it would be that easy as well,
however according to this discussion:
https://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thre...

Romain Guy states "There's a compilation phase to embed extra
information inside the PNG but it happens in aapt when the apk is
built.".

Since I need to create 9patch images after apk packaging, it looks
like I need to replicate what the aapt does. Unfortunately this is
quite beyond my knowledge so any information anyone can offer would be
greatly appreciated!

Matt.