I think I'd prefer storing them in a database as opposed to a file.  How
would you store them in a file? Something like comma separated values or xml
or something? You can avoid all that parsing code and use a database
instead.  This also might make it easier if you want to add more strings for
your messages in the future.

If you have a small amount of data you can keep it as static variables, but
I'm not sure if this is kosher with ~400 messages at an average length of
let's say 50 characters a piece.

Kris