Aha, no - I didn't find any links to docs about the program in the Android
docs, just a reference to the program in the part talking about 9-patch
images.

It makes sense to warn about artifacting - I presume it refers to how
stretched images will become blocky if the stretched columns and rows aren't
the same in the direction of stretch - they'd get all blocky. Maybe I'll
approach my particular task a different way.

It foxed me that my central two columsn and rows looked identical - I infer
they're subtly different. If I only choose one row or one column, the 'bad'
markers vanish: a row or column can hardly fail to match itself!

Cheers,

Tim