On Apr 7, 3:06 pm, "JAlexoid (Aleksandr Panzin)" <jalex...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Why would you need Honeycomb source?

I think the issue is not "need" vs "want."  Yet.  It's doing the right
thing.  If a network router uses some open-licensed code, but doesn't
provide the sources, they are rightly brought to task for it through
a legal challenge.

If Motorola has shipped "stock Honeycomb 3.0" (per words from Google
reps here), then Motorola's users should have access to the software
on
the device.  While you can quibble about distinctions between Apache
vs GPL, and deltas from version 2.3 to version 3.0, the point is the
same:  users can't call it OPEN unless the users can have the CODE.
For Google to call it OPEN when users do not in fact have the CODE is
disingenuous at best, and becomes more nefarious over time.

Google's really good at hoovering in all kinds of data and coming up
with some sort of corporate strategy from it.  Google has not shown
the same level of ability at communicating in the other direction.
If we developers are going to be Google's partner in making Android
a success, then Google needs to communicate with us.  That goes for
Android Market, Android Platform, and all other areas upon which we
mutually depend.