Since you want to use a new attribute that requires SDK level 8 or
higher, you will need to build against that SDK, older ones will give
a compile (invalid tag) error.

Then to make sure your app also still runs fine on 1.6 you need to
deploy it on a device with a level 4 SDK, or if not available, create
a 1.6 AVD and run it on that one.
The 1.6 runtime is just skipping the new attribute. I've read that
this is the behaviour recently for the xlargeScreens attribute, but
can't find it anymore :(

Should you be using Android Java API features that were introduced
after 1.6, then you need to make sure your code gracefully handles it
when those features are not present. See for a good explanation on how
to do this:
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2009/04/backward-compatibility-for-android.html

HTH.