You might try just using java.io.File, which works well for me:

File file = new File("/whatever/path/to/file.txt");
try {
  InputStream in = new FileInputStream(file);

}
catch(Exception ex)
{
}

I've noticed in the documentation that openFileInput() is supposed to
be what you use, but I haven't determined if the above is not okay,
and if not, why not. I'm doing this in several places, and it has
never caused a problem.