The text of the documentation says you're right. A call to 'finish()' is all
that could happen to 'destroy' the activity. No killing of the process is
necessary.

However, the image in the documentation (
http://developer.android.com/images/activity_lifecycle.png  inside
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals/activities.html)
states that the 'process is killed' when it skips the onStop or onDestroy.

In my experience, the image is correct, the text is not correct. I have not
seen any Activity in my apps whose onStop/onDestroy is not called without it
being killed through a kill of the process. But i could be wrong...

<http://developer.android.com/images/activity_lifecycle.png>