On Apr 28, 12:21 am, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> "Asking it to finish" means finishing the activity, which means destroying
> it.  Politely asking it to finish isn't going to cause it to just not
> cleanly exit.  It would be fundamentally broken if activities every just
> stop being used in their process without actually going through the
> lifecycle.
>
> In other words "asking to finish" -> Activity.finish() -> does what you
> expect.

Ok, so when I 'finish' an Activity programmatically, never wanting it
to show up in the Task stack again, how does the system know to remove
my Activity from the back stack in that case, but it doesn't remove it
from the stack when the system asks it to finish due to low memory
conditions?

Also, the documentation for onDestroy() adds to the confusion a bit:

"Called before the activity is destroyed. This is the final call that
the activity will receive. It could be called either because the
activity is finishing (someone called finish() on it), or because the
system is temporarily destroying this instance of the activity to save
space. You can distinguish between these two scenarios with the
isFinishing() method."

Note that it says if the Activity is being temporarily discarded to
save space, then the 'isFinishing' method will return false.  If
Android is simply calling 'finish' to temporarily discard the
Activity, as you state, then is it explicitly setting 'isFinishing()'
flag back to false (assuming the call to finish() automatically sets
it to true; because if it didn't, then when I programmatically call
'finish()' to permanently finish the Activity, the flag would probably
never get set)?

- Eric