Thanks for the tips, but it didn't work. I even deleted all data from the
"-datadir" and then rebooted my computer, but the behavior is still the
same. I have a very simple code (see below) that I took from a tutorial but
even that doesn't work. I believe that I'm missing something here, but I
have no idea what it might be.
Thanks

public class TestActivity extends Activity
{
    public static final String TAG = "TestActivity";
    private LocationManager lm;
    private LocationListener locationListener;

    @Override
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        setContentView(R.layout.main);

        //---use the LocationManager class to obtain GPS locations---
        lm = (LocationManager)
            getSystemService(Context.LOCATION_SERVICE);

        locationListener = new MyLocationListener();

        lm.requestLocationUpdates(
            LocationManager.GPS_PROVIDER,
            0,
            0,
            locationListener);
    }

    class MyLocationListener implements LocationListener
    {
        @Override
        public void onLocationChanged(Location loc) {
            Log.d(TAG, "===>>> MinhaLocalizacaoListener
onLocationChanged");
            if (loc != null) {
                Toast.makeText(getBaseContext(),
                    "Location changed : Lat: " + loc.getLatitude() +
                    " Lng: " + loc.getLongitude(),
                    Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
            }
        }

        @Override
        public void onProviderDisabled(String provider) {
            Log.d(TAG, "===>>> MyLocationListener onProviderDisabled
PROVIDER:"
                    + provider);
         return;
        }

        @Override
        public void onProviderEnabled(String provider) {
            Log.d(TAG, "===>>> MyLocationListener onProviderEnabled
PROVIDER:"
                    + provider);
         return;
        }

        @Override
        public void onStatusChanged(String provider, int status,
            Bundle extras) {
            Log.d(TAG, "===>>> MyLocationListener onStatusChanged STATUS:"
                    + status + " PROVIDER:" + provider);
         return;
        }
    }