A partial workaround can be to redefine the volume control buttons as
up and down arrow keys to hop from control to control while inside
menu and dialogs. I have done this for blind users of Android phones
that have a physical keyboard but no d-pad (really, these exist). Also
check out the on-screen keyboard of the new TalkBack screen reader
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.marvin.talkback
and discussions of it on the eyes-free list
http://groups.google.com/group/eyes-free

Regards

The vOICe for Android
http://www.seeingwithsound.com/android.htm