Hallo Steve,

> I can confirm the ATR's as Michael pointed and add an interesting
> follow on. When I do scardconnect and then scardsttus to get uid I get
> the 5 byte (4 byte dynamic first by 08 static e.g. 080A97A6) from the
> phone whenever the NFC service is running.

The UID (or actually the NFCID1) you get should be 4 bytes in total,
starting with 0x08 to mark that bytes 1 to 3 are randomly generated.

> if I leave the connection
> open and run multiple commands the uid stays the same but if i
> disconnect and reconnect the uid dynamically changes.

Correct. A random UID/NFCID1 must stay constant during one power cycle
(i.e. whenever the magnetic field of the reader switches from POWER-OFF
state to the IDLE state.) As the UID is used for anti-collision of
multiple transponders in the field of the reader it needs to be constant
during the communication phase.

> Is there a way
> to capture this uid as it is being created/sent from the phone?
> Is this uid generated by the secure element?

At least with the 3 phones I tried so far, the UID of the secure element
was static. Only the NFCID1 generated for peer-to-peer mode was dynamic
(as required by the standard).

For the UID of the secure element: Yes it can be captured through the phone.
For the NFCID1 in peer-to-peer mode: I guess there could be some way to
capture the current NFCID1 through libnfc-nxp but I haven't tried.

Best regards,
Michael