I wrote an image editor app that claims to deal with full-resolution of the
images.
However, there is a limit due to the 'issues' you found (limit memory).

I got around it (at least, i haven't seen many stack-traces/error-logs sent
my way) by doing this:

   - Limit the resolution. On 1st gen devices (16MB ram), up to 5MPixel
   16-bit; on 2nd gen devices (24MB ram), up to 9MPixel 16-bit images.
   Basically, allow the images take up all but 6MByte of the available ram (16
   - 6 = 10MByte for pics; 24 - 6 = 18MByte for pics). The 6MByte buffer that
   can be used by the rest of my app is just an example. Your app may be able
   to use less...
   - Be diligent in 'recycle()' bitmaps *asap*.
   - Just before allocating a brand-new large image, call System.gc(), to
   trigger the garbage collector.
   Because the raw bitmap data is loaded on the native heap and DalvikVM
   can't 'see' it, the garbage collection may not have been properly triggered
   in time. Calling System.gc() is just to make sure that it does the
   collection if necessary.