Hi all.

I am about to start an Android development project. I would like some
advice before starting with the project.

First of all, I have done some research on which phone would be the
best to do Android development. I have seen many suggestions, but most
people seem to point at the Google Nexus One (or its UK equivalent,
the HTC Desire). I was wondering if there is anything more recent that
is as good as the Nexus One. I have seen people suggesting the Nexus
S, but I'd rather not use a Samsung phone for the reason I'll explain
below. Also, the HTC Desire S seems to have a signed bootloader, and
I'd like to be able to tinker with the OS if I will need to during the
project (this is not a commercial application, it's more of a research
project, so it's ok if I need to modify the OS). The HTC Desire HD
seems more like a modern alternative to the Desire, but I have found
no one suggesting it as a good, modern developer phone for Android.
Any other suggestion?

For this project I will need to triangulate the user's location using
GSM cell info. Problem is that sometimes, we will need to triangulate
the position *after* the phone has lost signal (i.e. the user has
gotten into an underground transport system). I was thinking of two
possible strategies to do so:
1. write an application that stays in the background and uses
LocationManager + LocationManager.NETWORK_PROVIDER to receive location
updates from the network provider and then use the latest known
location
2. log all the cell IDs I see and use the last few ones (together with
their known location) at a later time to triangulate the user's
location

Strategy #1 has the obvious advantage that it is supported by most
Android phones and works reasonably well for what I need to do.
Problem is, it will drain the user's battery. Even if it is relatively
cheap to use Network Location instead of GPS to locate the user, I
need only to locate the user when he/she enters the public transit
network. If the user goes out of town, my application will keep
querying the location provider for nothing.

Strategy #2 works reasonably well for my purposes, as I suppose the
phone will see a different set of cells depending on the entry point
(and therefore it might not even be necessary to do the actual
triangulation, I could build a database of (Station Name, Set of
visible cells) tuples and consult it without even bothering
translating that into actual coordinates. Also, logging the cell
information is something that can be done substantially for free, as
the phone already has that information and I am only reading it and
discarding it if I don't need it. Trouble is, in this case, that I
have seen that the function for doing this on Android don't always
work well on all phones. I know, by reading previous posts on this
forum, that Samsung phones don't support getNeighboringCellInfo().
Also, many *other* phones don't support that function.

I was wondering: is there anyone here who knows of a current phone
that supports getNeighboringCellInfo() *for sure*?

Thanks,
Davide