I have done something similar to what you want. I developed an application
that we needed for a study.
It collects GSM and WiFI data, stores it in a file that I later process with
a perl script. The script sends GSM and WiFi data to Google's geolocation
api and retrieves location coordinates (like those in GPS).
We needed a way to annotate events with location data without the user
incurring any costs. Location information is critical to our work but
doesn't really need to be calculated immediately.
We wrote a paper on it with results of how accurate this method was, turned
out to be pretty good.
WiFi info gets you a better location then GSM (more precise) and sending
both WiFi and gsm doesn't do any better than just WiFi.
Also, there is a caveat if you don't operate the phone strictly in 2G mode
the method that retrieves neighbouring cell info returns -1 for all data.
You can only get information from the cell you are connected to when in 3G.
It's a limitation of the API.