We deliberately do not do this, so we can always reset the application back
to the initial state it was installed in.  Keeping .apks entirely
self-contained, self-sufficient, and without needing some external installer
that you can loose is of tremendous value in being able to manage everything
the user has installed and simplifying their experience.

This is something that I will very strongly push back from changing, and is
central to just about everything about how we manage applications, such as
the fact that applications don't go and explicitly register themselves with
part of the system, but rather declare those things in the manifest.