I had similar issues and with some testing found that adding:
getWindow().setSoftInputMode(WindowManager.LayoutParams.SOFT_INPUT_STATE_ALWAYS_HIDDEN);
as the last line of my onCreate() in each class that extends Activity
did the trick.  Like you the issue with the soft keyboard popping up
did not seem to affect every phone in my test arsenal but adding the
line above has worked as a universal fix without any unwanted side
affects that I'm aware of.