On Wednesday, July 6, 2011 12:44:27 PM UTC+1, Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
wrote:

Developers should not take legal advice from the Internet, and
> especially not from a non-attorney blog or a software development
> podcast.

I agree wholeheartedly. I wasn't trying to give advice either, just chiming
in as an interested party (I believe all devs are interested parties here).

> ------------------
>
> Some sort of legal defense fund and pooled defense would seem like an
> excellent idea, but somebody with standing on this issue would need to
> talk to qualified legal counsel about whether this works in this case,
> what are the options for funding it, etc. Some sort of "Kick Lodsys
> Where It Counts" Kickstarter campaign might be fun. :-)

Might indeed. Interesting reading on that vein here:
http://iptarget.blogspot.com/2011/05/troll-blasting-strategy.html

On Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:04:11 PM UTC+1, Spooky wrote:

PS:  I just barely missed being a part of this, too, having just
>      decided not to go with ads/"donation to remove ads" for my app.
>      So I definitely do feel for you all.

 Just FYI, you may not have missed the fun. The whole point of patent
trolling is "an intentional misconstruing of the claims in an attempt to
extort money from another" (from the IPTarget blog). The troll doesn't care
that you're not infringing his patent, he just wants to scare you into
paying up.

String