In case anyone runs across this, the solution to get past this issue is
posted in full on StackOverflow, however, the simple answer is "close the
device with libusb_close(handle) before reopening as an 'accessory'."  Just
releasing the interface is not enough and libusb provides no error when
leaving a connection to a device open that will then lock you out of I/O
operations for a subsequent reconnection and interface claiming that succeed
without errors.

The other thing was having to match up buffers on both sides (due to how the
code in my sample app was set up) to see data come across.  It is only a
sample and not a real nor optimal solution!