Hector,

What I was hinting at (sorry if I was being too oblique) is that:

1 - There is a bug in your code when the activity gets recreated for configuration changes; 2 - The most frequent case of a configuration change is the screen orientation change; 3 - There are other cases configuration change cases, and I provided the steps for one of them; 4 - Rather than putting lipstick over the bug with your manifest change, treat it as an opportunity to easily find and fix the bug; 5 - Once that's done, and your code survives an orientation change, add back the manifest changes as an optimization, if needed.

-- Kostya