On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 6:16 PM, Jim Graham <spooky1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a string array containing, at present, 286 entries, all of
> which have matching entries (same int index in the other arrays)
> that contain data relative to the first.  In other words,
> position 1 in the first, has data in position 1 of the other
> arrays, and so on.  These are all split up by brand/grain names
> (e.g., "Briess 2 Row" and "Briess Caramel 20").

First, I think that's asking for trouble. If this data is related it should
be in some common object or structure.
So instead of "Brand[286] brands;" and "Grain[286] grains" you'd have
"SingleObjectWithBothDataElements[268]"

> If I chose, instead of a simple ListView, to migrate this to an
> ExpandableListView (where group 1 would be individual brands),
> would I need to split all of those arrays[1], or would I merely
> add a list of brands, that would then point to ranges in the main
> list?  Or have I got all of this COMPLETELY wrong?

Maybe - I, for one, am not really following. An ExpandableList has a
Parent->List<Children> type relationship. So if I'm following your example,
you'd have a list of brands as the top level list, then within each of those
*each* would have a list of grains, or whatever the "children" are.

I think you'd have a maintenance headache if you start doing some kind of
crazy indexing into a giant array to determine the sub-lists.