Having a year's worth of downloads doesn't save you.  My app, Custom
Launcher Icons used to come up pretty high for every relevant search
phrase.  Since July 1, I'm buried under lots of very similar apps with
lower/fewer ratings, less downloads and less relevancy than my own.
I'm ok with competition, but this is getting silly.

I've been reassured by a Googler that they are working hard on fixing
search, and we will see a fix 'soon.'

In the mean time, I'm selling less than half per day of what I was
selling prior to July 1st.

Jon F Hancock