I know there have been some previous posts on this question.

Since Sensor.Type_Orientation has been deprecated, the right thing to
do is call SensorManager.getOrientation() .

I would note that the API Demos Compass still uses the
Sensor.Type_Orientation, so it is no help in telling

So far so good: SensorManager.getOrientation() is supported back to
API level three.

But I do need to register for something so I know when the rotation
has changed. Although docs don't say *when* something is deprecated,
I'm assuming this is API level 9.

So should I do this?

                if(Versioning.getSDKNumber()<9)
                {
                        boolean supported =
mSensorManager.registerListener(this,
mSensorManager

.getDefaultSensor(Sensor.TYPE_ORIENTATION),
                                        SensorManager.SENSOR_DELAY_UI);
                        }
                }

                else
                {
                        boolean supported =
mSensorManager.registerListener(this,
mSensorManager

.getDefaultSensor(Sensor.TYPE_ROTATION_VECTOR),
                                        SensorManager.SENSOR_DELAY_UI);

                }

Or is it somehow more complicated?

I'm extra concerned because it appears, based on my error reports in
console, that some devices fail when I call
registerListener with Sensor.TYPE_ORIENTATION. They don't return
false, they don't return an exception.

I don't know what devices they are because the Market Console won't
tell me. If they are API 9 devices (2.3), the above code will help. If
they are API 8 devices, then I am a bit stuck, because I can't use
Sensor.TYPE_ORIENTATION nor Sensor.TYPE_ROTATION_VECTOR.

Nathan