Thanks for the replys,
Looking into it the partial wake lock should be my solution, but it isnt
implementing well. I keep getting a runtime error on acquire(). my code
looks like:
                PM = (PowerManager) getSystemService(Context.POWER_SERVICE);
WL= PM.newWakeLock(PowerManager.PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK, "Wakelock");
WL.acquire();
I put this in the onStartCommand(), is that incorrect? Should
only acquire the wakelock when the screen turns off?

Thank you