Hallo Fernando,

> As far as I understand sending APDUs to the SmartMX SE element is
> possible because the NFC Controller (PN544) is told to enable the NFC-WI
> interface with SE. This is carried out by calling
> phHal4Nfc_Switch_SMX_Mode(), with parameter eSmartMx_Wired (function
> phLibNfc_SE_SetMode()).

Correct, for the SE connected through NFC-WI/S2C, the NFC controller has
three modes: off, wired and virtual mode. Off means that there is no
communication with the secure element. Wired mode means that the secure
element is visible to the application processor as if it was a
(contactless) smartcard connected to the RF reader. Virtual mode means
that the secure element is visible to external readers as if the phone
were a contactless smartcard.

> Wouldn't it be possible to use the SWP channel to send APDUs to UICC SE
> through NFC Controller in an "wired mode" from an application the same
> way it is performed when sending APDUs to the SmartMX element?

>From what I've read in the PN544 User Manual, I don't think that there
is an equvalent for the wired mode with SWP/HCI (I would be happy to be
proven wrong). Usually for the "wired mode", the contact interface of
the UICC would be used so it wouldn't really make sense if the NFC
controller allowed for an additional* channel between the UICC and the
application processor.

*) "Additional" once the RIL supported APDU exchange with the UICC.

> Or is SWP only supposed for raw RF Communication and has no such
> equivalent capabilities used by NFC-WI?

In fact it is quite the opposite. NFC-WI is the protocol for raw "RF"
communication. SWP has several more capabilities. There is three
protocols used on top of SWP: ACT, CLT and SHDLC. ACT is used for
interface activation. CLT is a tunneling protocol for raw frames of the
contactless protocol (used for e.g. MIFARE protocol). SHDLC is the high
level data link protocol. On top of this HCI (Host Controller Interface)
is used for communication between the UICC and the NFC controller.

br,
Michael