On Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:17:53 PM UTC-4, Dianne Hackborn wrote:

> That isn't the same thing.  It still can't do anything more than the
> permissions you allowed it.

That's why I said "additional code operating within its current permissions
limits"

> NDK or Java is irrelevant -- you could just have a little scripting engine
> and download code for it.  Or whatever.  Trying to prevent apps from doing
> dynamic code execution is kind-of a doomed battle. :)

Indeed - but it raises the point of what you can do with a new application
that you can't do with dynamic code execution in an existing one:

- Get additional permissions (presumably Internet is already claimed to
enable the download)
- Get a new launcher icon (or is there a way to do that dynamically?)
- Get a new user ID

If none of these are absolutely required, then augmenting an existing app
with new code might be a passable alternative to installing a new one.