On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Jake Wharton <jakewhar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to get opinions and thoughts on these two solutions (or any
> additional ones you can come up with).

Well, considering that only one is currently possible, I would
recommend that one.

:-)

The general modus operandi of the core Android team seems to be "we
scratch our itches and may help scratch the itches of others that
contribute itch-related code". So, unless this caching pattern is an
itch internal to that team, you may have difficulty convincing them to
make the changes, short of writing up and contributing a patch
yourself. Even if that patch is contributed, though, your second
solution will be needed for the next few years, anyway -- such a patch
will not show up in devices for 9+ months, and devices stuck on
pre-patch Android will need to work.

The only scenario I can think of where your second solution might not
be needed is if Ice Cream Sandwich addresses this issue *and* all
mainstream Honeycomb devices get the ICS upgrade. That's certainly
possible, but both being true seems unlikely.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Training in NYC: http://marakana.com/training/android/