That is correct. And that is what Dianne is talking about above with an
additional instance boolean on a fragment which denotes whether or not the
menus are exposed.

If you're interested, I have a library which is a superset of the
compatibility library that implements this feature in a way that is most
like what I think the next revision of the compatibility library will
include. It implements fixes for both the adjacent fragments contributing to
the options menu and receiving context menu dispatches. You can learn more
about it at http://actionbarsherlock.com.