Sarath Kamisetty wrote:
> My application has two halves - one that interacts with the user and
> gathers some data and stores it, the other half of it is like service
> that constantly monitors and processes this data and carries out the
> user specified actions in the background. How do I develop this ?
>
> One approach is to split the app. into two independent parts - an
> activity and a service.  Activity (with textboxes and buttons etc.)
> takes user input and stores the data in sql database. However, it is
> not clear to me if the service portion of the application can access
> it. Is that possible ?

If "it" is the SQLite database, then all components in a single
application can access the database. Here, "components" refer to
activities, services, content providers, and intent filters.

> In this approach, the activity and service will
> be completely independent and the activity has to notify the service
> (somehow ?) whenever user inputs new data so that the service can
> reprioritize its task list.

Use AIDL, static data members, or the like to communicate from the
activity to the service.

> In
> this approach my app should be running in the background as soon as
> phone is booted up.

Everybody thinks that. Then people wonder why their phones are so slow. :-(

I really encourage you to think through whether your application
absolutely positively must run automatically without user intervention
when the phone starts up.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com

Android Training on the Ranch! -- Mar 16-20, 2009
http://www.bignerdranch.com/schedule.shtml