Hi,

My application has two halves - one that interacts with the user and
gathers some data and stores it, the other half of it is like service
that constantly monitors and processes this data and carries out the
user specified actions in the background. How do I develop this ?

One approach is to split the app. into two independent parts - an
activity and a service.  Activity (with textboxes and buttons etc.)
takes user input and stores the data in sql database. However, it is
not clear to me if the service portion of the application can access
it. Is that possible ? In this approach, the activity and service will
be completely independent and the activity has to notify the service
(somehow ?) whenever user inputs new data so that the service can
reprioritize its task list.

The approach is to have a single app that has both UI/activity and
service ? Are there any examples out there for such applications ? In
this approach my app should be running in the background as soon as
phone is booted up.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Sarath