The exception is due to your thread not having a Looper, which a fundamental low-level mechanism used by Android to delivers events to an application. You can fix this, but....

You don't really need a thread for this - after you register a listener, the main thread will continue to run, receiving event callbacks as needed.

If your app is having performance problems, take a look at what you do inside the listener callbacks and make it take less time.

-- Kostya