Exactly.  When I try to touch to move the cursor in an already focused box,
the keyboard dismisses on everything but the HTC Hero on 2.1-update 1. The
Xperia Play goes into some kind of select text mode the others don't.

You may have to check if the view that is clicked on is the one the user is
currently editing and prevent this behavior.

I can post screen shots in a bit if you need them.

Steven
Studio LFP
http://www.studio-lfp.com