kelvin wrote:
> Is there a built-in or easy scheme to have users report exceptions to
> a developer?  I understand that you could try to get users to hook up
> a USB cable and run 'adb', but I don't think that's realistic.
>
> I'm running into a crash that appears to occur on a very small number
> of handsets, possibly while accessing the SD card, and trying to track
> this down remotely is driving me nuts.  Thanks in advance.

Built-in? No.

Easy? Depends on how you define it.

First, you need to catch the exception, if you aren't doing so already.

Next, you need to send the exception data to you. Some possibilities:

-- Write some simple Web service and use one of the HTTP APIs

-- Send an email through the user's email application (e.g.,
http://androidguys.com/?p=3100)

-- Nab some third-party JAR and send the data using some other transport
(e.g., email without user intervention, XMPP)

-- Send an SMS

You could try integrating something like log4j that already handles
these sorts of error deliveries, but I worry about too many dependencies
that you may have difficulty resolving.

If the OpenIntents team doesn't already have one, a common component for
doing this sort of error reporting would definitely be a slick addition
to Android developers' arsenals.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com

Android Training on the Ranch! -- Mar 16-20, 2009
http://www.bignerdranch.com/schedule.shtml