On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 3:35 AM, Al Sutton <a...@funkyandroid.com> wrote:

> "adb install" allows you to get away with some things that the non-adb
> install methods wont (e.g. signing of apps).

The adb install command certainly shouldn't let you avoid signing your app;
a .apk is fundamentally not valid if it is not signed.

The system will allow you to install apps that are signed with questionable
certificates (such as the default build environment certificate that expires
in 90 days or whatever), but I am pretty sure those are also accepted when
installing directly from a web site.  The market server does a number of
checks on apps uploaded to it to make sure they are in good shape, such as
ensuring your certificate won't expire for a reasonable amount of time.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public
forums, where I and others can see and answer them.