BelvCompSvs wrote:

> I'm just here to confirm what the other two coders told you ~ I found
> it on first read place a catch( Throwable ) around the call
> to .print_result(MyService.

That's actually pretty bad advice.  Don't place a 'catch (Throwable ...)'
around anything.

> java:62) and look at line 62 in MyService but before you even try that

That's actually pretty good advice.  Take a look at line 62.  (I wonder why
you didn't identify that line for us, seeing as how you're asking for help)

do Object someObject= ((val=null)?("error"):(val)) all over code as

Huh?  I don't even understand this advice, much less endorse it.  However,
every interpretation I put on this advice leads to a really bad idea, so
I'm going to suggest that whatever this advice means, you should not follow
it.

What you /should/ do is make sure that references point to something other
than 'null' before you try to dereference them.

> what you are looking for is a result of many design types telling
> people that code handles nulls
>
> it doesn't = you have to go look for it and find it

What?

Maybe if there were some punctuation, capital letters, and complete
sentences in there I could understand what this guys is suggesting.

when you do, fix it some way.....

I agree with this advice, which boils down to the oh-so-insightful
suggestion that "analyze the problem, determine a solution!"  That's good
advice, and I'm sure you'll find it exceedingly helpful.

Not.

NullPointerExceptions, like other RuntimeExceptions, are a result of
programmer error, in this case yours.  It means that you have a pointer
still pointing to 'null', but you tried to use it as if it pointed to
something not 'null'.  You have to assign your pointers to something not
'null', and you have to check your pointers before dereferencing them to
make sure they aren't 'null'.

As stated upthread, the stack trace (plus my hint) will tell you which
pointer was pointing to 'null' when you tried to dereference it.

--
Lew