>> > That's actually pretty bad advice.  Don't place a 'catch (Throwable
>> > ...)'
>> > around anything.
>> >

>> Ever?
>
> That is a good question.
> I suggest asking it each time the situation comes up.

There are 'correct' uses of try / catch blocks, and exceptions in the Java
language.  You might be able to get away with avoiding using them in your
own code, but the standard library throws things, so you can't completely
avoid ignoring them.

If you want to enforce a coding standard which eschews them, that's fine,
but I don't think it makes sense (otherwise) to make a blanket statement
against their use.

kris