Hi there. This one goes out to Google with nothing but the best of intentions:

The resource compiler is just plain too fragile. I think you guys should put in some time to iron out the weirdness from it to save us developers from hours and hours tearing our remaining hair fighting with it.

Let's take a look at just a few of the problems:

Importing android.R breaks it.
Having anything.out.xml in the resources area breaks it. Inexplicably, Eclipse tries its best to stick .out.xml files whenever you edit resource docs, so this one constantly crops up.
Setting build output to verbose breaks it.
Intermittently compilation somehow misses resource declarations without generating any errors, requiring a complete rebuild, even though there are no errors. It sometimes doesn't copy changed resources into the output apk, again requiring a complete rebuild.

Because of the last two problems, one finds oneself constantly rebuilding from scratch. With larger projects, this can be an onerous constraint indeed. My project, for example, takes about 10 minutes to completely rebuild, so doing a clean rebuild is something I want to avoid at all costs. A button or a doc showing how to rebuild just the R.x would be terrific.

Please consider dedicating one or more human resources to ferret out and solve these problems.

Pretty please. With a cherry on top.

Chris...