http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Service.html#onStartCommand(android.content.Intent, int, int) <http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Service.html#onStartCommand%28android.content.Intent,%20int,%20int%29>

intent The Intent supplied to|startService(Intent) <http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/Context.html#startService%28android.content.Intent%29>|, as given. *This may be null *if the service is being restarted after its process has gone away, and it had previously returned anything except|START_STICKY_COMPATIBILITY <http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Service.html#START_STICKY_COMPATIBILITY>|.

<<

I believe the above statement is not quite correct about when the intent may be null, please see this as well:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Service.html#START_REDELIVER_INTENT

You can try reproducing the issue on your development device by using the DDMS tab in Eclipse in killing the service's process. When Android restarts the service a bit later, check the intent.

-- Kostya

15.12.2011 14:36, Terry ?????:
Occationally users report a NullPointerException Error at
MyService.onStartCommand() for some of my apps.
I never see this error when I try to debug the apps, and I wonder why
this happens.
I have studied the code both for the methods onStartCommand() and
onCreate() for the services in question, but I seem unable to find the
cause of the problem. I suspect that the actual reason for the crash
lies elsewhere.

Here is the stack trace, which seems to be identical for all crashes
on ALL of the apps in question:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start service
xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.MyService@405274c8 with null:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleServiceArgs(ActivityThread.java:
2481)
at android.app.ActivityThread.access$2800(ActivityThread.java:145)
at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:
1118)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:150)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4369)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit
$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:846)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:604)
at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
at xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.MyService.onStartCommand(MyService.java:279)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleServiceArgs(ActivityThread.java:
2464)

As the Google error report system does not include device type or
Android os version, I do not know if this occurs only one some
specific devices or os version.

Has anyone got an idea as to what is happening?

Thank you.
Terry

--
Kostya Vasilyev