Thank you, Kostya - for sending me in the right direction.

I now understand that the NullPointer Exception (I asked about) should
be expected by any Service, as the Android system may restart it with
a null intent - on purpose. However, after I have done some debugging
using DDMS, I am unable to reproduce this behavior. when I stop a
process, the service (in the process) always seems to be restarted by
redelivering the originally used intent, regardless of whether
START_STICKY, START_STICKY_COMPATIBILITY or START_REDELIVER_INTENT was
returned from onStartCommand().

Interested developers should also read
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/02/service-api-changes-starting-with.html

Terry.